The Cheltenham Festival takes place annually at the Cheltenham Racecourse in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire in March. The race boasts hundreds of millions of pounds bet during Cheltenham Festival Week. American horse racing betting fans can legally get in on the Cheltenham Betting action from the US.
Cheltenham Betting 2019
|March 11 – 15th||Bet Back for 2nd All Month!|
|March 13th||VIP Daymaker|
|March 18 – 22nd||Bet Back for 2nd All Month!|
|March 20th||VIP Daymaker|
|March 25 – 29th||Bet Back for 2nd All Month!|
|March 27th||VIP Daymaker|
|100% Deposit Bonus||New Members Receive a 100% bonus on their first deposit up to $100|
|Last verified||Jun 18, 2019|
With the race coming up, I wanted to try out a new race book, and I settled on BetAmerica. The BetAmerica website was a little confusing for me. Now, the main page asks for you to choose between Horse Racing and Sportsbook. It does mention a New Players 100% Deposit Match offer, which is promising for any Cheltenham betting you may be considering.
I clicked on Horse Racing and was directed to their main horse racing page. Once again, the new player offer from before was touted. My first step whenever using a new betting site is to check out the offers for the new players to make sure I get the best deal when signing up.
I clicked on the “Promos” tab to see the current promotions available as well as to check if there are any specific Cheltenham betting offers. This led me to a “Promotions Calendar” as well as once again mentioning the 100% bonus on your first deposit up to $100. Above is a list of the current promotions available.
Now, if you’re like me, you’re going to need help deciphering what these promotions mean and if they can apply to any Cheltenham betting you’re planning to do.
Bet Back for 2nd All Month
The website tells you that you can get your bet back for 2nd all month at select tracks.
How to Qualify:
- Bet at least $50 at the promotional track each day to qualify.
- Bet a $5 win bet on the horse of your choice
- Only your first $5 win wager will count as your contest wager
- If your horse runs second, BetAmerica will refund your bet
The promotional tracks that this applies to are:
- Mondays: Australia (All)
- Tuesdays: Mahoning Valley
- Wednesdays: Delta Downs
- Thursdays: Fair Grounds
- Fridays: Tampa Bay Downs
The VIP Daymaker is slightly more complicated. It is offered based on the odds for specific events that are happening the days the promo is happening.
When you click on the Wager Rewards tab on the right-hand side of the Promotions page, you will find the page for BetAmerica’s New Wager Rewards program. The page offers 20% more points on exotics, 10% more points on multis, 100% every wager earns points – at the top. The Wager Rewards program is available to every customer, with everyone qualifying immediately. You place your bets as you normally would and as soon as the race is official, you will earn points for every bet on every track.
|BetAmerica Wage Rewards|
|Earn Wager Rewards||For every wager on every track|
|Posting points for Wager Rewards||Posted immediately after result is declared official|
|Where can points be used?||Immediately for future bets or spent in the shop|
|Single race exotics (exactas, trifectas, superfectas, and Hi-5s)||Points are boosted by 20%|
|Multi-race Bets (Daily Double through Pick 6)||Points are boosted by 10%|
Note: On most tracks, you will earn one point for each dollar wagered, however, there are some reductions.
When you start, your reward level will be 1.0. If your reward level is larger than that, you earn at that rate. For instance, if your rate is 2.0, you earn at a rate double the base rate.
Not all customers will be rewarded at the same level due to local fees in some states. The following states have a maximum effective rewards % on all wagers, which includes promotions:
- California, 1% maximum reward rate
- Arkansas, Illinois, Minnesota, New York, Washington: 4% maximum reward rate
These maximum rates apply to all wager reward activity.
Cheltenham Betting Schedule
BetAmerica lists the following schedule for the Cheltenham Festival:
- Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 | 10:30AM
- Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 | 10:30AM
- Thursday, March 14th, 2019 | 10:30AM
- Friday, March 15th, 2019 | 10:30AM
Unfortunately, it does not appear that the Cheltenham picks are part of the VIP Daymaker promotion.
A star next to “UK – Cheltenham” indicates that it is a bonus track.
A basic breakdown to help you make your Cheltenham picks of the days is offered below:
Day One: Tuesday, March 12th, 2019
- Novices’ Hurdle
- Stan James Champion Hurdle Challenge Trophy
- Racing Post Ankle Challenge Trophy
- Mares’ Hurdle
Day Two: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019
- 2019 Queen Mother Champion Chase
- Novices’ Hurdle
- RSA Steeple Chase
- Weatherbys Champion Bumper
Day Three: Thursday, March 14th, 2019
(Also Saint Patrick’s Thursday, a great day to make some Cheltenham picks)
- JLT Novices’ Steeple Chase,
- The Ryanair Chase,
- The St. Patrick Derby
Day Four: Friday, March 15th, 2019
Gold Cup Day
- Cheltenham Gold Cup
- The Triumph Hurdle
- The Albert Bartlett Novices' Hurdle
I asked BetAmerica’s online chat agent about any special Cheltenham betting. For instance, Cheltenham betting offers, Cheltenham Free Bets or any other Cheltenham picks for the Cheltenham Festival. I was told that, at the time of writing this review, this information was not available, but will be closer to the actual start of the event.
Cheltenham Festival, In-Depth Schedule
Day 1: Tuesday, March 12th, 2019 – Champions Day
- 10:30AM ET | Supreme Novices' Hurdle
- 11:10AM ET | Racing Post Ankle Challenge Trophy Steeple Chase
- 11:50AM ET | Ultima Handicap Chase
- 12:30PM ET | Unibet Handicap Chase
- 1:10PM ET | Mares’ Hurdle for the David Nicholson Trophy
- 1:50PM ET | National Hunt Chase
- 2:30PM ET | Novices’ Handicap Chase
Keep an eye out in the next few hours for any Cheltenham betting offers, Cheltenham free bets, or any other Cheltenham picks for the Cheltenham Festival to appear on the website.
Day 2: Wednesday, March 13th, 2019 – Ladies’ Day
- 10:30AM ET | Ballymore Novices’ Hurdle
- 11:10AM ET | The RSA Steeple Chase
- 11:50AM ET | The Coral Cup
- 12:30PM ET | Queen Mother Champion Steeple Chase
- 1:10PM ET | Glenfarclas Cross Country Handicap Chase
- 1:50PM ET | Fred Winter Juvenile Handicap Hurdle
- 2:30PM ET | Weatherbys Champion Bumper
Day 3: Thursday, March 14th, 2019 – St. Patrick’s Thursday
- 10:30AM ET | JLT Novices’ Steeple Chase
- 11:10AM ET | Pertemps Final
- 11:50AM ET | Ryanair Chase
- 12:30PM ET | Stayers’ World Hurdle
- 1:10PM ET | Brown Advisory and Merriebelle Stable Plate Handicap Steeple Chase
- 1:50PM ET | Trull House Stud Mares’ Novices Hurdle
- 2:30PM ET | Full Walwyn Kim Muir Challenge Cup Handicap Steeple Chase
Day 4: Friday, March 15th, 2019 – Gold Cup Day
The Last Day! Make sure to check for any Cheltenham Free Bets!
- 10:30AM ET | JCB Triumph Hurdle
- 11:10AM Randox Health County Handicap Hurdle
- 11:50AM ET | Albert Bartlett Novices’ Hurdle
- 12:30PM ET | Cheltenham Gold Cup Steeple Chase
- 1:10PM ET | Foxhunter Steeple Chase
- 1:50PM ET | Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys’ Handicap Hurdle
- 2:30PM ET | Johnny Henderson Grand Annual Steeple Chase
There are 14 Grade 1 races during the 4 days of the Cheltenham Festival. In addition, each day features its own championship race.
Cheltenham Festival, Background
The festival takes place in the United Kingdom. It started as a two-day event and has ballooned to a four after many event additions. The race prize money is second only to the Grand National. The best British and Irish trained horses race together, which is relatively rare during the rest of the season. Because it usually takes place on or near St. Patrick’s Day, it is particularly popular among the Irish visitors and contenders.
Interestingly, Cheltenham is known for its raucous atmosphere, in particular, the “Cheltenham Roar.” “The Cheltenham Roar” is in reference to the great amount of noise that the crowd generates as the starter raises the tape for the commencing of the first race of the festival.
The festival is not without its scandals, however. Last year, six horses died, leading to a British Horseracing Authority review into equine safety. 17 recommendations were made for how to make the festival safer for the horses this year.
To help you with your Cheltenham Betting, it is a good idea to look at the past winners. The leading trainer (the trainer who trains the most winners in the races over 4 days) for the past two years has been Gordon Elliot. But, from 2013 – 2016 it was Willie Mullins, who also took that honor in 2011.
The event promises to be one of the biggest betting events of the year, as it is most years. There will be 28 races, Grade I to Grade III.
Placing Your Bets
To place your bets with BetAmerica, sign up and keep an eye out for the promotions listed above. The odds and any special promotions for the Cheltenham Festival will be posted later today or in the morning tomorrow according to the agent I spoke with. The website offers a “Live Chat” option which was very helpful to me. While my agent couldn’t provide me with the information I requested, she tried very hard and offered alternatives. I would recommend using this feature or calling the phone number listed if and when you run into any issues.
If you miss one day of the Cheltenham Festival, don’t worry, you have three other days to look forward to! Make sure to keep an eye out each day for the odds, the schedule, and any Cheltenham betting offers, Cheltenham free bets, or Cheltenham picks for the Cheltenham Festival, as each day consists of its own unique events.
If you want to get into the spirit, grab a Guinness and shout your heart out during the Cheltenham Roar while rooting for your favorite horse! And if you want to see more horse races, check out our guide here.