Like Formula 1 and NASCAR, IndyCar racing is among the most enthralling racing events in the USA. The 2020 indy 500 will take place on Sunday, August 23.
If you want to know how to bet on Indy 500 and the 2019 winners for Indianapolis 500 betting, you’re in the right place.
The 2020 Indy 500
Our next chance to feel the rush of adrenaline at Indianapolis Motor Speedway is the 2020 Indy 500. The race was initially supposed tp take place Sunday, May 24, 2020. However, this year it has been postponed to August 23. It will broadcast on NBC as usual.
Stay tuned for more info including Indy 500 betting odds, tips, predictions, and more.
Get advanced picks on the Daytona 500 as well!
Best Indy 500 Betting Sites
- 2X Risk-free Bets Up To $2000New customers only. 21+. Get up to a $500 Refund (in Free Bets) if your 1st Fixed Odds Bet loses. Get up to a $1,500 Refund (in Free Bets) if your 1st PointsBetting Bet loses. Eligible clients are entitled to a maximum two (2) refunds. Full T&C Apply. Visit site
- Up to $500 in Bet Credits For New CustomersMake a qualifying deposit (min $10), place bets to deposit value, once they are settled, matched amount in Bet Credits available to use. Bet Credits risk excluded from returns. T&Cs apply. The bonus code can be used during registration, but does not change the offer amount in any way. Visit site
- Risk-free bet up to $1000The Promotion is only open to individuals who are at least 21 years of age and physically present in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Illinois, Indiana, Colorado, West Virginia, Tennessee or Iowa during the Promotion Period. To claim, new users need to register, make a first deposit, and then simply place their first real-money wager on FanDuel Sportsbook up to $1000! If a user loses their first wager, Fanduel will refund their loses in the form of a free-bet up to $1000! Full T&C Apply. Visit site
- $1,000 Risk Free First Sports BetNew Patrons of WynnBET who place their First Deposit of not less than $20 in cash and place an eligible Sports Wager within ten (10) days after making the qualifying deposit during the Promotional Period are eligible to receive a Risk Free* First Sports Bet up to a maximum of $500 as a free bet (the “Risk Free* First Sports Bet”). Visit site
- Get Up To $250 Risk FreeNew Customers 21+. NJ only! Free Bet will be awarded if users first ever settled cash sports bet is a loss. Amount of Free Bet awarded is equal to 100% of first ever settled cash sports bet amount up to $250. Full T&C Apply. Visit site
- Sports Bonus up to $250To be eligible, you must be at least 21 years old, playing within the state of New Jersey. New Account holders will be able to use bonus code, 250MATCH, on their first deposit The offer is to deposit and receive 100% up to $250 in bonus money with a 1X wagering requirement. Use bonus code 250MATCH when making your first deposit. Minimum deposit $10. Full T&C apply. Visit site
Full Indy 500 Lineup: 2020 Starting Grid
- Simon Pagenaud (229.992)
- Ed Carpenter (229.889)
- Spencer Pigot (229.826)
- Ed Jones (229.646)
- Colton Herta (229.086)
- Will Power (228.645)
- Sebastien Bourdais (228.621)
- Josef Newgarden (228.396)
- Alexander Rossi (228.247)
- Marco Andretti (228.756)
- Conor Daly (228.617)
- Helio Castroneves (228.523)
- Marcus Ericsson (228.511)
- Takuma Sato (228.300)
- James Davison (228.273)
- Tony Kanaan (228.120)
- Graham Rahal (228.104)
- Scott Dixon (228.100)
- Oriol Servia (227.991)
- Charlie Kimball (227.915)
- JR Hildebrand (227.908)
- Ryan Hunter-Reay (227.877)
- Santino Ferrucci (227.731)
- Matheus Leist (227.717)
- Jack Harvey (227.695)
- Jordan King (227.502)
- Ben Hanley (227.482)
- Zach Veach (227.341)
- Felix Rosenqvist (227.297)
- Pippa Mann (227.244)
- Sage Karam (227.740)
- James Hinchcliffe (227.543)
- Kyle Kaiser (227.372)
2019 Indianapolis 500 Results
- Simon Pagenaud
- Alexander Rossi
- Takuma Sato
- Josef Newgarden
- Will Power
- Ed Carpenter
- Santino Ferrucci
- Ryan Hunter-Reay
- Tony Kanaan
- Conor Daly
- James Hinchcliffe
- James Davison
- Ed Jones
- Spencer Pigot
- Matheus Leist
- Pippa Mann
- Scott Dixon
- Helio Castroneves
- Sage Karam
- JR Hildebrand
- Jack Harvey
- Oriol Servia
- Marcus Ericsson
- Jordan King
- Charlie Kimball
- Marco Andretti
- Graham Rahal
- Felix Rosenqvist
- Zach Veach
- Sebastien Bourdais
- Kyle Kaiser
- Ben Hanley
- Colton Herta
2019 Indy 500 Winner
In 2019, the Indy 500 winner is Simon Pagenaud. Starting in the pole position, Pagenaud successfully defended against Indy 500 betting odds favorite Alexander Rossi and rising Japanese star Takuma Sato. At 8-1 odds on race day, Pagenaud claimed victory just two-tenths of a second ahead of Rossi.
With Pagenaud’s win, Team Penske has taken home their 18th Indy 500 trophy. Those who bet on Will Power to win must have been disappointed by his costly pit road penalty. After this, Power finished in fifth.
Our 2019 Picks for Indy 500 Betting
While all the bookies we recommend below for Indy 500 betting have very competitive odds, DraftKings stands out with the best odds to win the Indy 500. From the Indy 500 lineup, it looks like players who make correct predictions will walk away with some pretty substantial rewards. On top of that, you can claim the DraftKings Promo code.
Indy 500 Favorites
Here are the current Indy 500 Favorites.
Australian Racer Will Power, champion of the Indy 500 in 2018, is currently the best racer. This is because he managed to take the lead with just four laps to go. In the process, he beat Ed Carpenter, who was the pole-sitter of the race.
A great racer, Alexander Rossi should not be underestimated. In the 2018 Indy500, he started from the 32nd position and managed to make some amazing passes. By the end, he climbed all the way up to third at the finish line.
Chomping at the bit for 2019, Ed Carpenter is already in the Indy500 lineup. Now, from what we saw last year, he’s an amazing racer to keep an eye on. In 2018, he managed to finish second after Will Power, the 2018 champion.
Indy 500 2020 Betting Odds
|Indy Driver||Race Winner (Odds from BetMGM)|
And make sure to read about the best sportsbook apps in the USA to place a bet on the Indy 500.
Indy 500 2019 Betting Odds
|Indy Driver||Odds (May 2019)|
How to Bet on the Indy 500
For those who don’t know how to bet on the Indy 500 lineup, here are some of the most popular betting markets that you’ll find across different sportsbooks.
Betting on Indy 500 Winners
Normally, casual bettors and unshakable Indianapolis 500 betting fans bet on the winner of the Indy 500 each year. And while most people bet on their Indy 500 favorite drivers, serious handicappers have a chance to find value.
However, you should know that sometimes, lesser-known online Indy 500 betting sites with a large percentage of bettors from one country end up skewing Indy 500 odds compared to other bookies.
For example, Scottish driver Dario Franchittinaturally has a big fan base in Scotland. So, a bookie with a majority of Scottish bettors will have a higher betting percentage of Indy 500 betting action on Dario Franchitti compared to other drivers.
Thus, this reduces Franchitti’s odds to win Indy 500 and increase the odds of other drivers.
Indianapolis 500 Matchup Bets
These are types of bets where numerous drivers are put into a small group, and it is the bettor’s job to select which driver will have the best finish in an Indy 500 race. In fact, Head-to-head Matchups pit consists of only two racers against one another while other matchups are comprised 3 to 6 racers.
Many online Indy 500 sites provide numerous matchup bets for the event, but you must first compare odds to win Indy 500 and see which bookie offers the best.
Indy 500 Podium Bets (Top 3)
For this type of Indy 500 betting market, punters select drivers that they think will finish within the top 3. It’s quite a smart bet because you have high chances of walking away with some good money.
Remember, before you place a bet on Indy 500, look for the drivers who consistently do well because they mostly have the best odds.
Indy 500 Prop Bets
Out of all the Indy car races, there is a much wider selection of prop bets at Indy 500 than any others. Some the most common Indy Prop Bets;
- Which driver will lead the most laps?
- Will any particular diver win any laps?
- Over or under caution flags
- First Racer to DNF
Indy 500 Futures Bets
Here, these types of bets that are placed in advance before even the race begins. It can be weeks or even months to the Indianapolis 500 betting event. When it comes to placing Indy 500 Future bets, it is advisable that you place small bets on less-favored punters before they qualify.
And in as much as anything can happen with Indy 500 betting, place bets on participants who have shown the consistency of good performance in their past. Proficient racers are likely to execute better race plans and make a better decision whenever they need to.
Indy 500 Live Betting
With Indy 500 Live betting, it means you place prop bets on various individual events that occur during the race. This is one of the most interesting Indy 500 betting forms because you are doing it in real-time.
Facts about the Indy 500
Did you know that the Indianapolis Motor Speedway has the largest capacity of any speedway in the world? Moreover, this has been the venue for the Indy 500 lineup ever since it started in 1911. How cool is that?
Well, in case you want to know more about the event before you make your Indy 500 betting moves, here are a few facts you may find interesting.
- Every year, the average number of people who turn up at Indianapolis Motor Speedway to watch the event is about 400,000
- American drivers have always dominated the Indy 500 event; the second highest-scoring nation is the UK, with a total of 8 wins
- The Italian chassis manufacturer, Dallara, manufactured the most winning vehicles of the Indy 500, with 15 winning IndyCars between 1988-2015
- Ever since the race started in 1911, every winning car at the Indy 500 has been running on Firestone tires
- Mostly, drivers who started in the first row have won the event 42.2% of the time, with the pole position winning 20 out of 99 races
Indy 500 racing has been around for over 100 years and is still going strong. All the bookies we’ve listed will offer a wide range of Indy 500 odds and several Indy 500 betting options.
While choosing the winner might seem like a long shot, the often generous odds at DraftKings will offer you some good payouts if your predictions are correct. That’s why we recommend signing up with them.