Sports betting in MD will be coming soon after a long-awaited period. Many bordering states already have laws in place and Maryland will soon join the list where betting is legal. The state hopes to have online sportsbooks up and running by 2022.
Voters approved sports betting back in November 2020 and lawmakers have been working to iron out regulatory details.
The governor of Maryland signed legislation into law on July 1, 2021, leaving enough time for sports betting operators to launch betting platforms for wagering on the upcoming NFL season. A set of rules has been approved by the Maryland Lottery and Gaming Control Commission which regulates the operation of Maryland betting venues and online sites.
Two types of Maryland sports gambling licenses will be issued. A Class A license is available for six casinos in the state, three professional sports stadiums and teams, and the Maryland Jockey Club. Class B licenses will be available for 30 businesses that have a physical location in the state.
Legal Sports Betting in Maryland
Maryland sports betting will soon be coming and bettors are eagerly awaiting the launch of top-rate sportsbooks and mobile apps. The recent law that was signed by the Governor has allowed Maryland online sports betting platforms to partner with operating casinos in the state to offer online sports betting. In addition to online access, bettors within the state will also be able to place wagers at numerous retail locations.
The Senate has approved licenses for many venues and Maryland residents will see as many as 60 mobile sites being licensed along with 50 retail locations. Residents of Maryland already have the legal ability to engage in Daily Fantasy Sports betting. The state does not consider these contests to be a form of sports betting or gambling. So, it is completely legal to enter any DFS contest at top sites like DraftKings and FanDuel.
Maryland Sports Betting Bill – 2023 Timeline
Since the Supreme Court overruled PASPA, many states in the country, including Maryland, have been taking steps to ladles online sports betting. It’s been a long process in Maryland, but sports betting is expected to be available by the fall of 2021! Check out this brief timeline of events that have led to the passing of the latest betting laws.
May 2018 – PASPA is overturned and states are allowed to create laws to allow for operating sportsbooks online.
November 2020 – Voters in Maryland approve legalizing retail sportsbooks that will operate at land casinos.
April 2021 – House Bill 940 is passed by the Maryland legislature.
May 2021 – HB 940 is signed by the Governor and enacted.
May 2021 – Baltimore Ravens sign a partnership with BetMGM.
June 2021 – PointsBet partners with Riverboat on the Potomac.
November 2021 – The state expects to launch the first Maryland sportsbook.
Potential Maryland Sports Betting Sites
With the exciting build-up to Maryland sports betting, some great brands will enter the market. The following companies are expected to launch MD sports betting sites, aiming aim to provide a safe and secure way for residents to engage in Maryland live sports betting and traditional wagering.
- PointsBet – Maryland sports betting will be enjoyed with a PointsBet app and betting site. The company has already partnered with the Riverboat on the Potomac and will feature exclusive PointsBetting action. On top of that we hope for a PointsBet Bonus Bet.
- Barstool Maryland – Owned by Penn National Gaming. Barstool will most likely launch an online and mobile platform with a partnership with Hollywood Casino, located in Perryville.
- Caesars Sportsbook Maryland – Caesars already operates land casinos in the state and will be one of the top choices for licenses when Maryland sports betting online is launched.
- FanDuel – FanDuel is already a popular name in the betting industry. With the launch of Maryland sports betting, an innovative app will be offered featuring traditional and in-play wagering.
- BetMGM Maryland – BetMGM has secured a sports betting Maryland market by partnering with the Baltimore Ravens. It will be offering an online and mobile platform.
- DraftKings – With one of the largest marketing budgets in the US, DraftKings will be a brand that bettors can expect to launch in MD and will feature extensive betting options.
Maryland Sports Betting FAQ
If you have more questions about Maryland Sports Betting, then continue reading for our FAQ section.
Maryland sports betting is not yet active in the state. However, laws have been passed and you can expect sites to start launching later in 2021.
There are no forms of online gambling Maryland currently available. The state has not legalized online casinos but is working on launching legal Maryland sports betting sites.
Yes. The governor has passed a law and the state has developed rules and regulations that will allow for sports betting MD to be offered.
At this time, there is no online betting in Maryland on sports. The first sites will start to launch later in the year.
Yes. When online sports betting Maryland sites launch, you can expect the leading brands to also offer mobile platforms where you can safely enjoy real money wagering.
Yes. The laws allow for betting on college sports and events, including any in-state teams.
Yes. Any amount that is won by engaging in online betting in Maryland will be considered income and will be taxable.
To legally engage in sports gambling Maryland, bettors must be 21 years or older and physically located within the state.
The majority of the revenue generated from Maryland sports betting will help fund educational programs across the state.