The NJ online sports betting industry is booming.
Things have been changing rapidly in the past year and the main upside is that sports betting fans now have an amazing choice when it comes to deciding where to place their wagers.
This NJ sports betting guide will give you all the details you need to enjoy your sports betting – and discover what each provider has to offer.
All NJ Online Sportsbooks
Here is a full list of the currently active sports betting online websites in New Jersey:
- DraftKings Sportsbook: Since launching as a daily fantasy sports site back in the year 2012, DraftKings has been making waves. And, after adding the DraftKings online sportsbook to its offerings, the popularity of the site has only grown. The DraftKings online sports betting site always makes sure to offer competitive promotions to keep their fans happy. Also, you can find a sports betting app for Android devices as well as their iPhone/iOS counterparts already up and running from DraftKings. DraftKings is known for offering fantastic promotions that are connected to the biggest sporting events of the year that you should be sure to check out.
- Caesars Sports: The Caesars Casino brand is one of the most well known in the entire casino world. So, when Caesars decided to launch its own online sports betting site, the company had a lot to prove. And, the Caesars Sports online sports betting site has managed to draw in many sports fans with its exciting features. With promotions offered to coincide with the biggest sporting events of the year, you can always find a way to boost your bet. And, with an online casino component offered from Caesars, you can place your bets and play casino games all in one place.
- Borgata Sports: When many people hear the name Borgata, the glamorous Borgata casino comes to mind. Well, the Borgata Sports online sportsbook does its best to bring the glamor home to you. With a wide variety of sports available for your betting pleasure, you are sure to find your favorite teams listed on this online sportsbook. Plus, the Borgata sports online sportsbook also offers a wide variety of betting types for you to look into. There is already a sports betting app for both iOS/iPhone devices as well as Android devices from Borgata Sports. So, you should start betting ASAP with Borgata Sports.
- FanDuel Sportsbook used its experience in the fantasy sports arena to move into the online sports betting world – and it has been a huge success. Teaming up with established Irish/British bookmaker Paddy Power, FanDuel has been able to use their expertise and offer a very comprehensive choice of betting markets that can all be accessed through the mobile app. Once again the FanDuel app is available for iOS and Android users.
- PointsBet: The PointsBet app attempts to be one of the biggest and most popular sports betting sites in New Jersey. Different to the SugarHouse and FanDuel apps, PointsBet has gone for a darker look of their app but everything is still as easy to use – and gives its customers exactly what they need. Register with a PointsBet promo code for a bonus. There is a good range of betting markets – as on the PointsBet site – and iOS and Android users can download the app onto their devices with no trouble at all.
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook: The Golden Nugget online sports betting site has one of the funner layouts of the online sportsbooks. Plus, you can plainly see on the desktop site that the Golden Nugget casino is also offered as well. So, you can go to Golden Nugget for all of your real money betting needs. Its live betting feature allows customers to continue placing bets on sporting events that are already in play. Users can even choose the types of odds that are listed on the online sports betting site. These users have the option to choose between America, Fractional, and/or Decimal odds.
- Hard Rock Sportsbook: Many of us already know all about the Hard Rock Casino and Hard Rock Cafe. Well, now you need to make sure to learn all about the Hard Rock online sports betting site. With a rewards program that is connected to the Hard Rock Casino rewards program, users can enjoy prizes for placing bets. Which means, the more you use the Hard Rock online sports betting site, the more rewards you earn. The Hard Rock online sports betting site has a really well designed and easy to use layout. So, it will be as easy as pie to begin placing your bets.
- The bet365 app is the latest NJ sportsbook app to launch. As the world leader in online sports betting, bet365 does not disappoint. There's a seemingly endless number of betting markets to choose from. Plus, live streaming and in-play betting are excellent. With a nice welcome bonus to attract NJ sports bettors, the bet365 app is a great addition to the NJ market. Likewise, the app is available for both iOS and Android. So, what're you waiting for?
- BetMGM Sports: If you are a fan of the BetMGM online casino, you need to try out the BetMGM online sportsbook. The BetMGM online sports betting site has a really attractive black and gold layout. And, users have expressed their satisfaction with the sign up offer from BetMGM. There is a large amount of sports offered on the well-known online sports betting site. Also, when you have a name like MGM behind you, you know the odds listed have been vetted and researched. In addition, users can download the BetMGM online sports betting app for both Android and also iOS/iPhone devices.
- BetAmerica Sportsbook: BetAmerica has made a great name for itself as one of the best online racebooks in the United States. So, it should come as no surprise that the BetAmerica online sports betting site is also top tier. With sporting events offered from across the globe, there will be a bet that catches your eye. Plus, with a calendar of recurring promotional events, you can always take advantage of a boost to your wagers. And, if you decide to place a bet on horse racing, you can do so very easily with BetAmerica. Giddy on up to the BetAmerica sportsbook to get started now.
- Unibet Sports: The Unibet Sports online sportsbook has found quite a few ways to set itself apart from the competition. For one, the Unibet online sports betting site has a wide variety of sports from around the world. Plus, the Unibet online sportsbook is one of the only sports betting sites around that offers a live stream. With the live stream, if users place bets on certain games, they will have access to a live stream of that sporting event through Unibet. And, there is even a Unibet Sports online betting app available for both Android users as well as iPhone/iOS users.
- 888Sports: The 888 Holdings brand has one of the most prolific real money betting brands around. With 888Sports, 888Casino, and 888Poker, this brand has made sure to cover its bases in the legal gambling market. The 888Sports site has one of the better sign up offers for new users upon account creation. Of course, 888Sports already has a sports betting app under its belt for its users. And, you can also look into placing bets using the live betting feature on the online sports betting site. A live betting feature can help add some extra excitement to your online sports betting experience.
- William Hill: When it comes to sports betting, William Hill may be the best known bookmaker in the world. Ever since its launch in the United Kingdom years ago, William Hill has set the standard for sports betting. And, now that online sports betting is legal in many states in the US, William Hill has made a name for itself here as well. So, if you are looking for the online sports betting site with some of the most trustworthy odds, look no further. Plus, you can find some pretty attractive promotions available for redemption on the William Hill online sports betting site.
- FOXBet: One of the more exciting facts about the FOXBet online sportsbook has to do with its inception. The FOXBet online sports betting site is the result of a partnership agreement between the Stars Group and FOX Sports. Which means, the FOXBet online sportsbook is the first of its kind, having been launched by a large media conglomerate. And, with such a high profile name, FOXBet has a lot to live up to. FOXBet seeks to remain on the cutting edge when it comes to the newest online sportsbook features. So, if you want to keep up with the sports betting market, check out FOXBet.
- Resorts Sports: Resorts Sports makes sure to lead with its strong points on its desktop site. Mentioning its rewards program immediately, users are already away it can pay to place your bets with Resorts Sports. And, the online sports betting site also has a great sign up offer for new customers to try out. With its great customer service options, you should never have an issue using the Resorts online sportsbook. Whether you need a live chat option or a frequently asked questions section, Resorts has it for you. You can also find any of the most popular sports in the world on the site.
- theScore: theScore has a very interesting and to the point online sports betting desktop site. With clear instructions on all of the features you can find on the online sportsbook, you know what to expect. Plus, the first thing the online sports betting site wants you to know is who can use its app. Luckily, the sports betting app from theScore is available for both iOS/iPhone devices as well as Android devices. And, there is also a really great sign up offer to get new users to create accounts and place a bet. So, there is no reason NOT to try theScore.
- SugarHouse Sportsbook: The SugarHouse online sports betting site launched its app as part of the existing casino operation. This means that customer account holders can seamlessly switch from betting on the game to playing at the table. This is a good move to keep its customers happy and busy. Keep an eye on the Betrivers app as Sugarhouse is rebranding to Betrivers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The clean layout is a particular attraction – and it still manages to convey a lot of information in what could be considered a small area. The app is available for both iOS and Android and can be downloaded from the App Store or a link for Android. Also, claim a SugarHouse promo code today.
- All NJ Online Sportsbooks
- NJ Online Sports Betting Legalization Timeline
- New Jersey Sportsbooks & Sports Team/League Partnerships
- Which Casinos Have Partnerships With NJ Bookmakers?
- NJ Online Sports Betting Sites Payment Options
- NJ Online Sportsbooks Bonuses & Promotions
- NJ Online Sports Betting Key Games and Events
- NJ Sports Betting Regulations
As time goes on there will be more and more online sports betting sites springing up in New Jersey. For instance, bwin (especially if it wants to keep up with competitors). This is good for customers as there will be more welcome promotions and more chance to find the real value bets because of the competition between bookmakers.
Potential account holders should do their research before signing up with any online sports betting site to make sure that they are safe and secure.
First Online Sportsbooks NJ
Plans had been made well ahead of the official ruling in May 2018 to overturn PASPA and the first online sports betting site was DraftKings in August of that year. The fantasy sports company had been expected to make the move into sports betting as well – and it was soon followed by BetMGM, SugarHouse (now Betrivers), FanDuel, and William Hill.
Caesars launched just in time for the new NFL season in September and were joined in the NJ online sports betting ranks by 888Sport and BetStars soon after.
The list of online betting NJ sites is growing all the time and now every Atlantic City sportsbook is either already involved – or soon to join the group, like Unibet recently did.
NJ Online Sports Betting Legalization Timeline
The outlook for sports betting in the United States looked grim when PASPA effectively outlawed it in 1992. Ex-New Jersey Governor Chris Christie played an instrumental role in reversing PASPA. He argued in court that individual states, and not the federal government, should have the right to create their own sports betting laws. After he left office, New Jersey Governor Philip Murphy successfully continued the landmark battle.
PASPA was officially overturned on May 14, 2018, and sports betting laws are now the jurisdiction of individual states. Sports betting is now legal in several states including Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and legalization is imminent in a few others like New York, Indiana, and Arkansas.
In New Jersey, online betting exploded when it was legalized a couple of weeks after PASPA was reversed. There are now over one dozen NJ sports betting sites with Bet365 and Ocean Resorts expected to join the ranks of the best NJ sportsbooks in the near future. Many of these New Jersey online betting sites have their own apps and the most modern land-based sports betting lounges.
New Jersey Sportsbooks & Sports Team/League Partnerships
There have been many developments since sports betting was legalized in New Jersey in June 2018. An example of this would be the partnerships that many New Jersey-based betting establishments have forged with professional sports leagues and their New Jersey-based teams. Here are the current deals:
The NBA got into the action early by partnering with MGM Resorts International. The three-year deal is estimated to be worth $25 million. MGM then went out and made deals with the NHL and Major League Baseball. MGM Resorts International is the NFL’s New York Jet’s official gaming partner.
William Hill operates sportsbooks at Ocean Resort, Monmouth Park, and the Tropicana. In October 2018, William Hill signed a deal with the New Jersey Devils and now have a pair of sports lounges located in the Prudential Center. William Hill has a similar deal with the NHL’s Golden Knights.
The Caesars logo appears on 80 digital boards at the Prudential Center thanks to their deal with the NHL’s New Jersey Devils. In January 2019, Caesars entered a deal with the NFL worth $30 million per year.
FanDuel made a splash when they became the NBA’s third betting partner. Part of the deal gives FanDuel access to the NBA’s official betting data. It also gives FanDuel permission to use the NBA logo on their New Jersey online betting site. Fan Duel also partnered with the NHL which is why their logo is embedded in the ice at Prudential Center.
888 Casino is a player on the New Jersey online betting scene and they upped their profile when they became the second gaming partner to make a deal with the NFL’s New York Jets.
Which Casinos Have Partnerships With NJ Bookmakers?
Since New Jersey legalized sports betting, bookmakers have scrambled to form partnerships with casinos. Most of the best NJ sportsbooks have deals in place while a couple of other deals are expected to come about. Here are the NJ sports betting sites and the casinos they have partnered with. The list also includes some pending deals.
Resorts Atlantic City
- Resorts Sportsbook
- 888 Sport
- CG Technologies (Pending)
- SugarHouse Sportsbook
- William Hill
- Borgata Sports
Hard Rock Atlantic City
- Hard Rock Sportsbook
Golden Nugget Atlantic City
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook
Ocean Resorts Casino
- Ocean Resorts Sportsbook
- Bally Sportsbook
- Harrah’s Sportsbook
NJ Online Sports Betting Sites Payment Options
Looking after your money at online sports betting sites is just as important as the range of betting markets and odds that are available.
Customer account holders need to know that their money is being looked after and be able to get withdrawals fast.
All the NJ online sports betting sites listed in this article have the safest and most secure procedures for the movement of money in and out of accounts. These are trusted, licensed sports betting sites so you can concentrate on the betting side of things and not worry about the security.
Obviously, every sports betting site is different but there is usually the same choice of payment methods open to customers when it comes to depositing and withdrawing funds in and out of accounts.
Here is a list of the most common payment method options:
- ACH (e-check)
- Visa debit and credit cards
- MasterCard debit and credit cards
- Cash at casino cage (if applicable)
- Online bank transfers
You should check with the online sports betting site of your choice before you make a decision on opening a customer account – but you should find that most bookmakers have the same methods.
NJ Online Sportsbooks Bonuses & Promotions
One of the best things about online sports betting sites is that they almost always offer some kind of signup bonus. The welcome bonus is where they can make a play for your business. Naturally, potential customers should know that they can shop around for the best deals.
Generally, welcome promotions will offer free bets, deposit matches or risk-free bets. These are where you get your money back if your first bet loses. All really great but that is not the end of the giveaways.
Once you register with an online sports betting site, take a look at the promotions they have on offer.
Also, sports betting sites like to time certain promotions with big sporting events. It is always a good idea to check the promotions page around the time of the Super Bowl, World Cup, or the Kentucky Derby, for example.
NJ Online Sports Betting Key Games and Events
We just touched on the subject of major sports events and tie-in promotions. But any sports betting site customer should have a good idea of when big events are coming up.
This allows players to take advantage of some possible promotions. That's because major events can have hundreds of betting markets. Likewise, this gives bettors more chances of finding the right wager.
Below are some of the big sports events New Jersey bettors will want to bet on. Definitely, these are just as big online as they are in Atlantic City sportsbooks.
The NFL’s championship game is the pinnacle of the football season. Likewise, it is watched all across the globe. Taking place in February, it is one of the biggest sports events worldwide. New Jersey online sports betting sites have hundreds of markets. These include moneyline bets, spreads, and totals. Plus, all craziest prop bets you can think of.
NBA Championship Game
The Nets might have left Jersey but there is still a lot of interest in the NBA! Now, they might not be likely to get to the championship game any time soon. But if basketball is your thing, betting sites have a huge selection of markets for you covering every game.
New Jersey hoops fans know that basketball isn’t all about the NBA. March Madness is the annual college basketball tournament where the best NCAA teams go to the Final Four before going for the championship. Almost all betting sites have plenty of markets to choose from. Naturally, there are sure to be a few promotions as well. NJ fans will be hoping for a Seton Hall or Rutgers triumph but all competing colleges will be covered.
If you like horse racing, there are over 20 racetracks in the state of New Jersey. Also, there are some big races that always attract a lot of attention. The NJ online sports betting sites will all cover the United Nations Stakes at the Monmouth Park track. Likewise, the Tony Gatto Dream Big Stakes at Mays Landing and Haskell Invitational Handicap (also at Monmouth Park) are covered. Some of the top online betting sites are affiliated with the Monmouth Park operation. So, expect them to introduce a lot of special markets for some of these events.
NJ Sports Betting Regulations
So much has happened in the last year or so that it can sometimes be quite difficult to keep up with all the latest developments when it comes to betting NJ.
Most of the best NJ betting sites have well known retail affiliates – that is, they are linked with a land-based sportsbook. Many of them have business relationships with sports betting in Atlantic City – so you know there is a wealth of experience in even the newest ventures.
This is where we are at the moment with betting in the Garden State and the shape of NJ online sports betting sites.
The Supreme Court of the United States overturned PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) which effectively made sports betting legal in the country – or at least it gave individual states the right to choose for themselves what they wanted to do.
The act was repealed in May 2018 and New Jersey was one of the first states in the country to aggressively adopt a position of legalizing and allowing licensed sports betting. The existence of land-based casinos meant that sportsbooks could be easily incorporated – and that has led to the introduction of online sports betting in the state.
NJ Online Sports Betting Tax
The tax on net sports betting revenue is 9.75 % at physical sportsbooks. It is higher by a few points for online and mobile sports betting: 13 %.