The NJ online sports betting industry is booming.
Things have been changing rapidly in the past year and the main upside is that sports betting fans now have an amazing choice when it comes to deciding where to place their wagers.
This NJ online sports betting guide will give you all the details you need to enjoy your sports betting – and discover what each provider has to offer.
Best New Jersey Online Sportsbooks
BetMGM SportsRisk Free First Bet up to $1,000New users only, 21 or older. Offer available in AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NJ, TN, PA, VA, WV, WY only. Full T&C apply. Visit site
Caesars SportsbookGet up to $1,250 On Caesars!New players only, 21+. Available in AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY only. Full T&C apply. Visit site
Borgata SportsGet $100 in Free Bets When You Bet $20NJ players, 21+, first deposits only. Minimum amount to deposit: $20. Customers claiming this Sports Promotion will not be eligible to receive any other “New Customer” free bet sports promotion offer. Full T&C apply. Visit site
DraftKings SportsbookGet A $50 Free Bet With First Deposit + Deposit Bonus Up To $1000New users only, 21+. Available in AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY only. Deposit bonus issued as site credits. Full T&C apply. Visit site
Unibet SportsGet a $100 Risk-Free Bet!New players only, 21 or older. Offer available in AZ, IN, NJ, VA only. Full T&C apply. Visit site
Fox Bet$50 risk-free betNew players only. Must be 21+. Available in CO, NJ, PA, MI only. Full T&C apply. Visit site
SugarHouse Sports100% match up to $250New users only. 21+. Use bonus code 250MATCH when making your first deposit. Available in NJ, CT only. Full T&C apply Visit site
FanDuel SportsbookGet a $1,000 No Sweat Fist Bet!New users only, 21 or older. Available in AZ, CT, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NJ, NY, PA, TN, VA, WV, WY only. Full T&C apply. Visit site
Resorts SportsbookGet Up to $250 Risk FreeNew Customers 21+. NJ only! Free Bet will be awarded if users first ever settled cash sports bet is a loss. Amount of Free Bet awarded is equal to 100% of first ever settled cash sports bet amount up to $250. Full T&C Apply. Visit site
Hard Rock Sports
- Best New Jersey Online Sportsbooks
- All NJ Online Sportsbooks
- Land Based Casinos
- NJ Online Sports Betting Legalization Timeline
- New Jersey Sportsbooks & Sports Team/League Partnerships
- Which Casinos Have Partnerships With NJ Bookmakers?
- NJ Sports Teams
- NJ College Teams
- NJ Online Sports Betting Sites Payment Options
- NJ Online Sportsbooks Bonuses & Promotions
- NJ Online Sports Betting Key Games and Events
- Sports Betting Guides
- NJ Online Sports Betting Regulations
- Tribal Licenses
- Explaining Geolocation
- Responsible Gaming
- Neighboring States
- Revenue from Online sports betting in NJ
All NJ Online Sportsbooks
Here is a full list of the currently active sports betting online websites in New Jersey:
- BetMGM Sports: If you are a fan of the BetMGM online casino, you need to try out the BetMGM online sportsbook. The BetMGM online sports betting site has a really attractive black and gold layout. And, users have expressed their satisfaction with the sign-up offer from BetMGM. There is a large number of sports offered on the well-known online sports betting site. Also, when you have a name like MGM behind you, you know the odds listed have been vetted and researched. In addition, users can download the BetMGM online sports betting app for both Android and also iOS/iPhone devices.
- DraftKings Sportsbook: Since launching as a daily fantasy sports site back in the year 2012, DraftKings has been making waves. And, after adding the DraftKings online sportsbook to its offerings, the popularity of the site has only grown. The DraftKings online sports betting site always makes sure to offer competitive promotions to keep their fans happy. Also, you can find sports betting app for Android devices as well as their iPhone/iOS counterparts already up and running from DraftKings. DraftKings is known for offering fantastic promotions that are connected to the biggest sporting events of the year that you should be sure to check out.
- Unibet Sports: The Unibet Sports online sportsbook has found quite a few ways to set itself apart from the competition. For one, the Unibet online sports betting site has a wide variety of sports from around the world. Plus, the Unibet online sportsbook is one of the only sports betting sites around that offers a live stream. With the live stream, if users place bets on certain games, they will have access to a live stream of that sporting event through Unibet. And, there is even a Unibet Sports online betting app available for both Android users as well as iPhone/iOS users.
- Fox Bet: One of the more exciting facts about the Fox Bet online sportsbook has to do with its inception. The Fox Bet online sports betting site is the result of a partnership agreement between the Stars Group and Fox Sports. Which means, the Fox Bet online sportsbook is the first of its kind, having been launched by a large media conglomerate. And, with such a high-profile name, Fox Bet has a lot to live up to. Fox Bet seeks to remain on the cutting edge when it comes to the newest online sportsbook features. So, if you want to keep up with the sports betting market, check out Fox Bet.
- Borgata Sports: When many people hear the name Borgata, the glamorous Borgata casino comes to mind. Well, the Borgata Sports online sportsbook does its best to bring the glamor home to you. With a wide variety of sports available for your betting pleasure, you are sure to find your favorite teams listed on this online sportsbook. Plus, the Borgata sports online sportsbook also offers a wide variety of betting types for you to look into. There is already a sports betting app for both iOS/iPhone devices as well as Android devices from Borgata Sports. So, you should start betting ASAP with Borgata Sports.
- FanDuel Sportsbook used its experience in the fantasy sports arena to move into the online sports betting world – and it has been a huge success. Offering the Fanduel Promo Code and teaming up with established Irish/British bookmaker Paddy Power, FanDuel has been able to use their expertise and offer a very comprehensive choice of betting markets that can all be accessed through the mobile app. Once again the FanDuel app is available for iOS and Android users.
- PointsBet: The PointsBet app attempts to be one of the biggest and most popular sports betting sites in New Jersey. Different to the SugarHouse and FanDuel apps, PointsBet has gone for a darker look of their app but everything is still as easy to use – and gives its customers exactly what they need. Register with a PointsBet Sign up code for a bonus. There is a good range of betting markets – as on the PointsBet site – and iOS and Android users can download the app onto their devices with no trouble at all.
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook: The Golden Nugget online sports betting site has one of the funnier layouts of the online sportsbooks. Plus, you can plainly see on the desktop site that the Golden Nugget casino is also offered as well. So, you can go to Golden Nugget for all of your real money betting needs. Its live betting feature allows customers to continue placing bets on sporting events that are already in play. Users can even choose the types of odds that are listed on the online sports betting site. These users have the option to choose between America, Fractional, and/or Decimal odds.
- Hard Rock Sportsbook: Many of us already know all about the Hard Rock Casino and Hard Rock Cafe. Well, now you need to make sure to learn all about the Hard Rock online sports betting site. With a rewards program that is connected to the Hard Rock Casino rewards program, users can enjoy prizes for placing bets. Which means, the more you use the Hard Rock online sports betting site, the more rewards you earn. The Hard Rock online sports betting site has a really well-designed and easy to use layout. So, it will be as easy as pie to begin placing your bets.
- BetAmerica Sportsbook: BetAmerica has made a great name for itself as one of the best online racebooks in the United States. So, it should come as no surprise that the BetAmerica online sports betting site is also top tier. With sporting events offered from across the globe, there will be a bet that catches your eye. Plus, with a calendar of recurring promotional events, you can always take advantage of a boost to your wagers. And, if you decide to place a bet on horse racing, you can do so very easily with BetAmerica. Giddy on up to the BetAmerica sportsbook to get started now.
- 888Sports: The 888 Holdings brand has one of the most prolific real money betting brands around. With 888Sports, 888Casino, and 888Poker, this brand has made sure to cover its bases in the legal gambling market. The 888Sports site has one of the better sign up offers for new users upon account creation. Of course, 888Sports already has a NJ sports betting app under its belt for its users. And, you can also look into placing bets using the live betting feature on the online sports betting site. A live betting feature can help add some extra excitement to your online sports betting experience.
- Caesars Sportsbook: When it comes to sports betting, Caesars may be the best known bookmaker in the world. Now that online sports betting is legal in many states in the US, Caesars Sportsbook has made a name for itself here as well. So, if you are looking for the online sports betting site with some of the most trustworthy odds, look no further. Plus, you can find some pretty attractive promotions available for redemption on the Caesars Sportsbook online sports betting site.
- Resorts Sports: Resorts Sports makes sure to lead with its strong points on its desktop site. Mentioning its rewards program immediately, users are already away it can pay to place your bets with Resorts Sports. And, the online sports betting site also has a great sign up offer for new customers to try out. With its great customer service options, you should never have an issue using the Resorts online sportsbook. Whether you need a live chat option or a frequently asked questions section, Resorts has it for you. You can also find any of the most popular sports in the world on the site.
- theScore Bet: theScore Bet has a very interesting and to the point online sports betting desktop site. With clear instructions on all of the features you can find on the online sportsbook, you know what to expect. Plus, the first thing the online sports betting site wants you to know is who can use its app. Luckily, the sports betting app from theScore Bet is available for both iOS/iPhone devices as well as Android devices. And, there is also a really great sign up offer to get new users to create accounts and place a bet. So, there is no reason NOT to try theScore Bet.
- SugarHouse Sportsbook: The SugarHouse online sports betting site launched its NJ sports betting app as part of the existing casino operation. This means that customer account holders can seamlessly switch from betting on the game to playing at the table. This is a good move to keep its customers happy and busy. Keep an eye on the Betrivers app as Sugarhouse is rebranding to Betrivers in New Jersey and Pennsylvania. The clean layout is a particular attraction – and it still manages to convey a lot of information in what could be considered a small area. The app is available for both iOS and Android and can be downloaded from the App Store or a link for Android. Also, claim a SugarHouse promo code today.
As time goes on there will be more and more online sports betting sites springing up in New Jersey. For instance, bwin (especially if it wants to keep up with competitors). This is good for customers as there will be more welcome promotions and more chance to find the real value bets because of the competition between bookmakers.
Potential account holders should do their research before signing up with any online sports betting site to make sure that they are safe and secure.
First Online Sportsbooks NJ
Plans had been made well ahead of the official ruling in May 2018 to overturn PASPA and the first online sports betting site was DraftKings in August of that year. The fantasy sports company had been expected to make the move into sports betting as well – and it was soon followed by BetMGM, SugarHouse (now Betrivers), FanDuel, and William Hill.
Caesars launched just in time for the new NFL season in September and were joined in the NJ online sports betting ranks by 888Sport soon after.
The list of online betting NJ sites is growing all the time and now every Atlantic City sportsbook is either already involved – or soon to join the group, like Unibet recently did. The next online sportsbooks likely to join in the future the NJ Online Sports Betting landscape are betbull, westgate, and comeon.
Land Based Casinos
New Jersey is the home of nine different casinos, which reside in one city: Atlantic City. One of the Jersey Shore’s greatest draws is its’ gaming action, which you can find in many different ways. Atlantic City has you covered, from penny slot machines to high-stake table games. Below, we will review each of these casinos.
Bally’s Atlantic City
Bally’s Atlantic City resides on the AC boardwalk. Bally’s has aggressively expanded nationwide by acquiring casinos and media companies to make a sports betting powerhouse.
Bally’s currently owns 14 casinos across ten states and has grown a large presence in the sports gambling industry. Time will tell if they can continue to expand aggressively, but they will have some stiff competition in Jersey.
For their Atlantic City casino, Bally’s has a partnership with the most popular sportsbook in America, FanDuel. For bettors who make their way to Bally’s, you should be sure to visit their FanDuel retail betting lounge with two gigantic video walls and multiple betting kiosks.
Borgata Hotel Casino & Spa
The Borgata is home to the largest hotel in New Jersey and is the top-grossing casino in Atlantic City.
Stocked with over 2,000 hotel rooms, hundreds of table games and endless slot machines, the Borgata is the most recognizable and prominent casino in Atlantic City.
The Borgata is the home to a BetMGM sports betting lounge. It is 8,000 square feet, with a video wall and six separate betting windows.
Caesars at Atlantic City
Caesars is another big-name casino that resides on the Atlantic City boardwalk. Caesars is a clean hotel with plenty of casino action for bettors.
In recent years, Caesars has grown considerably in the sportsbook landscape in the United States and is a local favorite in New Jersey.
The Caesars Sportsbook betting lounge is one of the bigger ones you’ll find in all of Atlantic City. The 15,000 square foot establishment has five private “Fan Caves” for an optimal experience with a group of buddies and tons of TVs and sports for your entertainment.
Golden Nugget Atlantic City
Golden Nugget was one of the first casinos to open in Atlantic City in the city’s attempt to revamp its economy. It was first called Trump Tower at its initial opening and has since been renamed after Landry’s Inc. purchased the casino.
Golden Nugget is the home of a betting lounge with more than 50 TVs and five video walls for its bettors.
Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City
With more than 17,000 square feet of casino space and an easy drive from the Atlantic City boardwalk, Harrah’s Resort Atlantic City is another hot destination for locals and tourists.
Harrah’s is one of the biggest gaming companies in America, forming in Nevada and making its way to New Jersey in 1980.
Harrah’s is also the home of Caesar’s Sportsbook. At Harrah’s, sports bettors can enjoy plenty of TVs and action. Guests are also free to rent out their “Fan Cave” with a group of up to 10 people.
Resorts Casino Hotel
Resorts Casino Hotel has been a Mohegan Sun Property in Monopoly City since 1978. Resorts made their mark as America’s first-ever brick and mortar establishment outside Nevada.
Resorts Casino has made a partnership with DraftKings Sportsbook. Resorts now have a sportsbook retail lounge that bettors can flock to where they can enjoy food, drinks and plenty of action.
Tropicana Casino Resort
Tropicana offers a top-tier casino and resort experience. You can have it all on the AC boardwalk at Tropicana, from fine dining to entertainment.
At Tropicana, sports bettors will find it is another home for Caesars Sportsbook. It is one of the largest sportsbooks in Atlantic City, with a 250-square-foot odds board and endless TVs to catch all of the action.
Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City
Formerly known as the Trump Taj Mahal, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino possesses one of the best social experiences for music and sports fans. After Hard Rock was acquired and renamed the casino in 2018, the establishment has enjoyed plenty of success.
Hard Rock Live boasts an arena that can seat up to 5,000 people. In addition, the Hard Rock Hotel & Casino is trying to expand beyond its casino success and tap into the sports betting realm. After their launch, they opened up their retail sportsbook with their branded sportsbook, Hard Rock Sportsbook. The lounge has over 40 TVs and six betting kiosks open 24/7.
Ocean Casino Resort
Looking along the Atlantic ocean on the AC boardwalk, Ocean Casino Resort (formerly known as Revel) opened in 2012 and had tumbled into bankruptcy in 2014. Ocean Casino bought the property and opened in June of 2018.
It is the tallest structure in Atlantic City and the second tallest casino in America. Sports bettors will have to wait as Ocean Casino Resort is actively under construction for their retail sportsbook. The 12,000 square foot gaming experience is expected to launch this upcoming summer.
NJ Online Sports Betting Legalization Timeline
The outlook for sports betting in the United States looked grim when PASPA effectively outlawed it in 1992. Ex-New Jersey Governor Chris Christie played an instrumental role in reversing PASPA. He argued in court that individual states, and not the federal government, should have the right to create their own sports betting laws. After he left office, New Jersey Governor Philip Murphy successfully continued the landmark battle.
PASPA was officially overturned on May 14, 2018, and sports betting laws are now the jurisdiction of individual states. Sports betting is now legal in several states including Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, and New Jersey and legalization is imminent in a few others like New York, Indiana, and Arkansas.
In New Jersey, online betting exploded when it was legalized a couple of weeks after PASPA was reversed. There are now over one dozen NJ online sports betting sites with Ocean Resorts expected to join the ranks of the best NJ sportsbooks in the near future. Many of these New Jersey online betting sites have their own apps and the most modern land-based sports betting lounges.
New Jersey Sportsbooks & Sports Team/League Partnerships
There have been many developments since sports betting was legalized in New Jersey in June 2018. An example of this would be the partnerships that many New Jersey-based betting establishments have forged with professional sports leagues and their New Jersey-based teams. Here are the current deals:
The NBA got into the action early by partnering with MGM Resorts International. The three-year deal is estimated to be worth $25 million. MGM then went out and made deals with the NHL and Major League Baseball. MGM Resorts International is the NFL’s New York Jet’s official gaming partner.
The Caesars logo appears on 80 digital boards at the Prudential Center thanks to their deal with the NHL’s New Jersey Devils. In January 2019, Caesars entered a deal with the NFL worth $30 million per year.
FanDuel made a splash when they became the NBA’s third betting partner. Part of the deal gives FanDuel access to the NBA’s official betting data. It also gives FanDuel permission to use the NBA logo on their New Jersey online betting site. Fan Duel also partnered with the NHL which is why their logo is embedded in the ice at Prudential Center.
888 Casino is a player on the New Jersey online betting scene and they upped their profile when they became the second gaming partner to make a deal with the NFL’s New York Jets.
Which Casinos Have Partnerships With NJ Bookmakers?
Since New Jersey legalized sports betting, bookmakers have scrambled to form partnerships with casinos. Most of the best NJ sportsbooks have deals in place while a couple of other deals are expected to come about. Here are the NJ sports betting sites and the casinos they have partnered with. The list also includes some pending deals.
Resorts Atlantic City
- Resorts Sportsbook
- 888 Sport
- CG Technologies (Pending)
- SugarHouse Sportsbook
- Borgata Sports
Hard Rock Atlantic City
- Hard Rock Sportsbook
Golden Nugget Atlantic City
- Golden Nugget Sportsbook
Ocean Resorts Casino
- Ocean Resorts Sportsbook
- Harrah’s Sportsbook
NJ Sports Teams
After the unfortunate relocation of the New Jersey Nets, the state of New Jersey only has one professional team in the major four leagues. However, as many readers may know, both New York football teams and a New York MLS team play their games in the Garden State. Here are some of your favorite New Jersey (and New York) you can potentially place some wagers on.
New Jersey Devils
The New Jersey Devils have seen brighter days. The Devils were an expansion franchise in 1982 and as you could imagine, saw their fair share of rough patches. But under the tutelage of NHL executive Lou Lamoriello, the Devils became a powerhouse overnight.
The Devils enjoyed plenty of postseason success, winning three Stanley Cups in a decade between 1994 and 2003. The Devils were known for their defensive-first mindset behind the brilliant goaltending of NHL Hall of Famer Martin Brodeur.
Since the New Jersey Nets’ relocation to Brooklyn, the Devils are the only professional sports team to represent the state of New Jersey.
They last appeared in the Stanley Cup final in 2011-12 when they fell short against the Los Angeles Kings. Since then, they have been in the cellar of the NHL, having only appeared in the postseason once in 2017-18.
The Devils will look to propel their rebuild in the right direction behind young studs Jesper Bratt, Nico Hischier and former #1 overall pick Jack Hughes.
New York Giants
Although the G-Men represent New York, they play their home games at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.
Similar to the Devils, they have seen brighter days. After winning two miraculous Super Bowls over the New England Patriots in 2008 and 2012, the Giants have not only been one of the worst franchises in football but in all major sports.
Since their Super Bowl win in 2012, the Giants have only logged one winning season. In those nine seasons, 7 of them, the Giants compiled six wins or less.
However, there is reason for hope. The Giants rightfully elected to scrap their front office and coaching staff with a breath of fresh air. Under the leadership of GM Joe Schoen and head coach Brian Daboll, the Giants will look to right their wrongs.
And they’re off to an excellent start: after acquiring the Bears’ first-round pick in a 2020 NFL draft trade down, the Giants held two top 7 picks. In the entire draft, they came away with arguably two of the best players in Kayvon Thibodeaux and Evan Neal.
Time will tell if Schoen and Daboll can lead this rebuild into successful seasons, but it appears they’re finally headed in the right direction.
New York Jets
The Jets, also based out of New York, share their home games with the Giants at MetLife.
And like the Giants, the Jets have been in the league’s cellar. After two consecutive AFC Championship title appearances in 2009 and 2010, the Jets currently hold the longest active playoff drought in the NFL.
Since 2010, the Jets only have one season finishing over .500 and have been selecting in the top 5 in four of the last five seasons.
But there is also some reason for optimism – GM Joe Douglas has taken a long-term approach to tear down and slowly build back up this Jets franchise to relevance and prominence.
Although he has only accumulated a 13-36 record in his three seasons, Douglas has acquired ample talent for the Jets for this upcoming season. Players like Ahmad “Sauce” Gardner, Garrett Wilson, Carl Lawson and Quinnen Williams are solid building blocks for the Jets to build around. But as is the situation with most teams, your team construction may not matter if you can’t figure out the quarterback.
2021 2nd overall pick, Zach Wilson, had a bumpy start to his career but finished stronger down the stretch. He will look to build off that and burst onto the scene in his sophomore campaign in 2022.
New York Red Bulls
Formerly known as the New York MetroStars, the Red Bulls reached the MLS Cup Final in 2008 while winning three regular season Supporters’ Shield titles since 2013.
The Red Bulls play their home games in Red Bull Arena in Harrison, New Jersey.
The Red Bulls have seen a fair share of success in the regular season, having made the postseason in each of the last six seasons. However, they have been unable to break through. The Red Bulls have only made the league semifinals once and have not yet been able to reach the MLS Cup Final in that span.
The Red Bulls will look to replicate their regular-season success behind the efforts of young gun Patryk Klimala and Lewis Morgan.
NJ College Teams
Unfortunately, in the state of New Jersey, bettors are prohibited from betting on any in-state colleges and any games played in New Jersey – even if the feature teams are from out of state.
This provision is not necessarily industry standard, but other states have similar protocols. So, for now, local New Jerseyans will have to travel to New York or Pennsylvania if they want to wager on their New Jersey college teams. Below we will review the Division I teams that reside in New Jersey.
The only Power 5 school in New Jersey are your Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Rutgers had a rough transition into the Big Ten but is seemingly trending up with head coaches Steve Pikiell and Greg Schiano.
Pikiell was the former head coach of SUNY school, Stony Brook, where he led the Seawolves to their first-ever tournament appearance. He has seen a similar turnaround in Piscataway – in 2021, Pikiell led Rutgers to their first NCAA Tournament appearance in thirty years. In addition, Pikiell compounded his success with consecutive appearances for the first time since 1975-1976 by appearing in the 2022 NCAA tournament.
On the gridiron, Schiano saw ample success in the 2000s leading Rutgers to five straight bowl appearances and six in his final seven years. Schiano’s success landed him a head coaching gig in the NFL, but a short and tumultuous stint in Tampa led to him losing his job. Schiano landed back at Rutgers in 2020, having improved his win total in his first two years, and made the Gator Bowl this past season.
Seton Hall may not be the powerhouse they once were under Seton Hall coaching legend P.J. Carlesimo, but the Pirates have yielded solid results in recent years.
The Pirates will have their work cut out for them – long time head coach Kevin Willard bolted for the Big Ten to take on the Maryland job.
2022 March Madness sensation Shaheen Holloway will now lead the Pirates basketball team. Holloway graduated from Seton Hall in 2000, where he was a significant contributor for four years and played professionally until 2007.
Holloway bounced around assistant jobs until he landed at Saint Peter’s University, where he led the Peacocks to one of the most remarkable Cinderella runs in tournament history.
Under head coach Mitch Henderson, the Princeton Tigers have consistently found themselves on top of the Ivy League standings.
This past year, the Tigers fell short of an NCAA tournament appearance, losing to Yale in the title game. The Tigers will look to make their first NCAA tournament appearance since 2017 for this upcoming season.
Head coach Bob Surace has built a mini powerhouse for the football team. The Tigers have won four Ivy League titles in Surace’s ten seasons.
As mentioned above, Saint Peter’s went on one of the more miraculous March Madness tournament runs you’ll ever see.
After a solid season, the Peacocks stormed through the MAAC playoffs landing a #15 seed. Despite being double-digit point underdogs in each of their first three games, the Peacocks went through Kentucky, Murray State, and Purdue to the Elite Eight.
Saint Peter’s became the first 15-seed in NCAA tournament history to make it that far.
Fairleigh Dickinson is a low-major Division I school in the Northeast Conference (NEC). Although they are coming off a tough year on the hardwood, the Knights have yielded some solid seasons recently.
The Knights have won two NEC titles in the last seven years. Their two NCAA tournament appearances landed them in Dayton for the First Four. In their most recent First Four game, they toppled Prairie View A&M for their first-ever win in the NCAA Tournament.
New head coach Tobin Anderson will lead Fairleigh Dickinson in 2022.
Formerly a Division III program, the Highlanders have slowly trended up since they transitioned to Division I in 2005.
The Highlanders struggled to find their footing as they were one of the only independent teams in college basketball. They found a temporary home in the Atlantic Sun in 2015 and then moved to the America East in 2020.
The Highlanders have not been able to break through and make the NCAA Tournament, but they have made three CIT appearances.
Rider is another member of the MAAC conference.
The Broncs have not made the NCAA Tournament this century, with their last appearance coming in 1994. In recent memory, they did produce one of the lone NBA prospects to come out of the MAAC with lottery pick Jason Thompson in 2012.
In addition, Rider ended a 23-year drought by winning the MAAC regular-season title in 2018. Longtime head coach Kevin Baggett will look to find similar success for the upcoming season.
The Monmouth Hawks are another team in the MAAC conference that is right on the cusp of their first NCAA tournament appearance. After falling short in this past MAAC title game against Saint Peter’s, the Hawks have won three regular-season titles since 2016 without a single conference tournament title.
Their recent success has yielded two NIT bids, one of which they landed a win in the first round.
For their football program, Monmouth has produced one of the more consistent programs in all FCS. With nearly 30 years under his belt, head coach Kevin Callahan has led Monmouth to 7 conference titles as well as 3 FCS playoff appearances in the last six years.
NJ Online Sports Betting Sites Payment Options
Looking after your money at online sports betting sites is just as important as the range of betting markets and odds that are available.
Customer account holders need to know that their money is being looked after and be able to get withdrawals fast.
All the NJ online sports betting sites listed in this article have the safest and most secure procedures for the movement of money in and out of accounts. These are trusted, licensed sports betting sites so you can concentrate on the betting side of things and not worry about the security.
Obviously, every sports betting site is different but there is usually the same choice of payment methods open to customers when it comes to depositing and withdrawing funds in and out of accounts.
Here is a list of the most common payment method options:
- ACH (e-check)
- Visa debit and credit cards
- MasterCard debit and credit cards
- Cash at casino cage (if applicable)
- Online bank transfers
You should check with the online sports betting site of your choice before you make a decision on opening a customer account – but you should find that most bookmakers have the same methods.
NJ Online Sportsbooks Bonuses & Promotions
One of the best things about online sports betting sites is that they almost always offer some kind of signup bonus. The welcome bonus is where they can make a play for your business. Naturally, potential customers should know that they can shop around for the best deals.
Generally, welcome promotions will offer free bets, deposit matches or risk-free bets. These are where you get your money back if your first bet loses. All really great but that is not the end of the giveaways.
Once you register with an online sports betting site, take a look at the promotions they have on offer.
Also, sports betting sites like to time certain promotions with big sporting events. It is always a good idea to check the promotions page around the time of the Super Bowl, World Cup, or the Kentucky Derby, for example.
NJ Online Sports Betting Key Games and Events
We just touched on the subject of major sports events and tie-in promotions. But any sports betting site customer should have a good idea of when big events are coming up.
This allows players to take advantage of some possible promotions. That’s because major events can have hundreds of betting markets. Likewise, this gives bettors more chances of finding the right wager.
Below are some of the big sports events New Jersey bettors will want to bet on. Definitely, these are just as big online as they are in Atlantic City sportsbooks.
The NFL’s championship game is the pinnacle of the football season. Likewise, it is watched all across the globe. Taking place in February, it is one of the biggest sports events worldwide. New Jersey online sports betting sites have hundreds of markets. These include moneyline bets, spreads, and totals. Plus, all craziest prop bets you can think of.
NBA Championship Game
The Nets might have left Jersey but there is still a lot of interest in the NBA! Now, they might not be likely to get to the championship game any time soon. But if basketball is your thing, betting sites have a huge selection of markets for you covering every game.
New Jersey hoops fans know that basketball isn’t all about the NBA. March Madness is the annual college basketball tournament where the best NCAA teams go to the Final Four before going for the championship. Almost all betting sites have plenty of markets to choose from. Naturally, there are sure to be a few promotions as well. NJ fans will be hoping for a Seton Hall or Rutgers triumph but all competing colleges will be covered.
If you like horse racing, there are over 20 racetracks in the state of New Jersey. Also, there are some big races that always attract a lot of attention. The NJ online sports betting sites will all cover the United Nations Stakes at the Monmouth Park track. Likewise, the Tony Gatto Dream Big Stakes at Mays Landing and Haskell Invitational Handicap (also at Monmouth Park) are covered. Some of the top online betting sites are affiliated with the Monmouth Park operation. So, expect them to introduce a lot of special markets for some of these events.
Sports Betting Guides
After the Supreme Court ruled to overturn the Professional and Amateur Sports (PASPA) decision, sports betting has grown exponentially in the United States.
New Jersey is the home of one of the biggest betting markets in the country. There are plenty of enticing new welcome bonuses for new bettors, and you can jump on and join the fun!
Below we will discuss some of the most common sports bets placed for you to get started:
The Moneyline bet is the easiest bet someone can make.
There are no variables to worry about – when a bettor wagers on a money line bet, you are simply picking a winner. The margin of victory or the point total does not matter, a win gets the job done.
While the money line bet is the most straightforward, the point spread is the most popular across sports.
Sportsbooks will designate a point spread for each game (for baseball, it’ll be a run line, and for hockey, it’ll be a puck line).
The point spread is a predicted margin of victory that the sportsbook is forecasting. As a bettor, you can either “lay” the points with the favorite or “take” the points with the underdog.
For example, the New York Giants are taking on the Dallas Cowboys at MetLife Stadium and are a 3.5 point underdog.
On your sportsbook, this would be designed as “New York Giants +3.5.” If you were to bet on your hometown Giants, the Giants would need to lose by three or less or win outright to have a winning wager. If the Cowboys were to win by four or more, they would cover the spread.
Online sportsbooks have seen tons of success, and part of the reason is the ability to make parlays. Whether you want to execute a “Same-Game” parlay or a parlay over various games and even different sports, the options are truly endless for bettors.
A parlay combines two or more single bets under one bet slip. To win your wager, every single bet of the parlay must hit ; if one of the single bets loses, the parlay collapses.
So, although parlays have a much smaller chance of winning than single bets, the payouts are much more rewarding and enticing for new and regular bettors.
NJ Online Sports Betting Regulations
So much has happened in the last year or so that it can sometimes be quite difficult to keep up with all the latest developments when it comes to betting NJ.
Most of the best NJ betting sites have well known retail affiliates – that is, they are linked with a land-based sportsbook. Many of them have business relationships with sports betting in Atlantic City – so you know there is a wealth of experience in even the newest ventures.
This is where we are at the moment with betting in the Garden State and the shape of NJ online sports betting sites.
The Supreme Court of the United States overturned PASPA (Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act) which effectively made sports betting legal in the country – or at least it gave individual states the right to choose for themselves what they wanted to do.
The act was repealed in May 2018 and New Jersey was one of the first states in the country to aggressively adopt a position of legalizing and allowing licensed sports betting. The existence of land-based casinos meant that sportsbooks could be easily incorporated – and that has led to the introduction of online sports betting in the state.
Currently, there are no Native American owned casinos in New Jersey. However, Resorts Casino Hotel is operated by the Mohegan Indian Tribe of Connecticut.
NJ Online Sports Betting Tax
The tax on net sports betting revenue is 9.75 % at physical sportsbooks. It is higher by a few points for online and mobile sports betting: 13 %.
Sports and casino betting regulars are probably familiar with geolocation. For new bettors, you must understand geolocation basics for an optimal online betting experience.
You’ve probably seen something along the lines of “Geolocating” or “Checking Location ” for regular bettors.”
All Geolocation is each sportsbook has software within each app that ensures your location is within a legal state’s borders. To optimize Geolocation’s performance, bettors should make sure they are not within a mile or a few miles of the state border to avoid confusion for the tracking. In addition, a strong WiFi connection is the best way to enable a fast app.
It is worth noting that geolocation software ensures users cannot use blocked software like using a VPN since these apps need to be able to track your location while you’re using their app.
It is essential for betting regulars and newbies alike to realize the potential harms that gambling can present.
That’s why bettors must familiarize themselves with responsible gaming. Responsible gaming examples are programs and educational platforms sportsbooks issue for their customers to reduce or prevent the harms of gambling.
Let’s go over some key features bettors should be using:
Time and Wager Limits
Time and wager limits are pretty self-explanatory.
You can designate a time limit on the sportsbook app you use, and whenever you reach a daily, weekly or monthly time limit, you will be notified from your sportsbook that you have reached your threshold.
The same goes for a wager limit. You can set daily, weekly or monthly wager limits.
It’s always easy to fall into the trap of chasing your losses. The addictive nature of gambling makes it easy to do this. That’s why deposit limits are a really important tool. Deposit limits enable us to bet within our limits whether that means setting a daily, weekly or month deposit limit.
Cool-off periods are a small suspension or a short break from online gambling.
Sportsbooks would do everything to prevent sending you any ads, emails and ways to entice you to come back in.
The cool-off feature has been prevalently used across many sportsbooks apps. The primary purpose of cool-off periods is to resist the urge to want to gamble on something constantly. Sometimes, taking a step back and realigning yourself with a short break can do wonders for your mental health.
During self-exclusion periods, users are blocked from operating the sportsbook app. Self-exclusion periods are usually more severe than cool-off periods. These can span anywhere from a few months to a year or even five years.
Let’s be clear: these tools are not just for gambling addicts. They should be utilized by betting regulars as well. Responsible gaming tools help bettors realize that betting is nothing more than a hobby and should be treated as such.
You should never wager money that you need to pay for groceries, essentials and bills. But with the prevalence of online sports betting, it is easier now than ever to continue to chase your losses. Whether you are new or a betting regular, it is crucial that you utilize these tools at your disposal.
Right across the Ben Franklin Bridge, New Jerseyans will find themselves in the City of Brotherly Love.
There are ten land-based casinos in Pennsylvania, 6 of which are in Philadelphia. Pennsylvania was one of the first states in the US to follow suit after the Supreme Court overturned PASPA.
The launch of the first sportsbook occurred in May of 2019 in Pennsylvania. You must be 21 years of age to place a bet in the Keystone state. Unlike New Jersey, there are no restrictions regarding betting on in-state colleges, and there are plenty of markets for bettors to tap into.
In January, the launch of New York state was arguably the biggest state launch since PASPA was overturned.
New York quickly grew to prominence as the most significant state market in the US. Like New Jersey, bettors are unable to bet on in-state colleges in New York. In addition, there are not nearly as many markets offered in New York as in Pennsylvania.
A month after the dissolution of PASPA, the first online bet was placed in the Blue Hen State.
Bettors must be 21 years or older to wager on sports in Delaware.
As of October 2021, Connecticut was one of the first dominoes to fall in the New England region and propel the sports betting industry.
Like the other states above, bettors must be at least 21 years of age to play.
Revenue from Online sports betting in NJ
As mentioned above, New Jersey is the home of one of the biggest betting markets in America. After its legalization in June of 2018, the state of New Jersey has reaped the rewards of a nice stream of income from sports betting.
In the years 2020 and 2021, no state handled more money online than the state of New Jersey. New Jersey handled more than $6 billion in the year 2020, which was over $1.5 billion more than the state of Nevada. And they nearly doubled that effort in 2021, shooting up to $10.9 billion.
With the Empire state opening in January, there is a very good chance New Jersey will suffer some consequences. New Yorkers will no longer need to cross state lines to place their wagers, and the state of New York should be a more plentiful market.
That doesn’t mean there isn’t room for both of these states to thrive, but it seems like a pipedream New Jersey will continue to thrive as the top online sports betting market in the US.
- Can I bet on sports online in New Jersey?
Yes, sports bettors are permitted to bet online in New Jersey.
- What is the legal betting age in New Jersey?
The legal betting age in the state of New Jersey is 21.
- Is horse race betting legal in New Jersey?
Horse racing betting is legal in New Jersey. A few racetracks bettors can go to Freehold Raceway, Meadowlands Racing and Monmouth.
- What are some resources on New Jersey sports gambling?
Bettors should familiarize themselves with responsible gaming tools at their disposal at any sportsbook app they decide to use. You can visit New Jersey’s Department of Law & Public Safety website for more information.